Welcome to the Marquette University MSCS Department REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Computation Across the Disciplines
Throughout science and engineering fields, the availability of cheap computer processing power is driving increased interest in large-scale and multi-scale problems that were previously thought to be intractable or unsolvable through traditional methods. The rise of high-throughput, parallel, and distributed computing technologies has created a great need for researchers and practitioners with a deep understanding of computer science, mathematical modeling and statistical methods who can work across disciplines to build real solutions. This can include developing new computational methodologies, computer software and/or computer systems, as well as new theoretical models.
At the same time, ever smaller computing platforms have inserted computation into mobile, embedded, and ubiquitous realms of human experience that would have been unthinkable only a few years ago. Energy consumption of both massive computing clusters and battery-operated appliances is of great concern.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore computational sciences and mathematics.
Summer 2012 Research Areas
Research Areas for 2012 are currently under construction. Updates should be complete by end of January 2012.
Applied Mathematical Modeling:
- Game Theory and Security. Mentor Dr. Kim Factor
- Ergodic Theory for Lagrangian Assimilation. Mentor Dr. Sherry Scott
- Risk Modeling for Pyroclastic Volcano Flows. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Data Assimilation For Fluid Dynamic Models. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Natural Gas Forecasting. Mentor Dr. George Corliss
High Performance Computing:
- Analysis of GPGPU Algorithms for Multiplying Large Matrices. Mentor Dr. Rong Ge
- Cloud-Enabled Xinu Operating System. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
Embedded, Mobile, and Ubiquitous Systems:
- Multimodal Ubiquitous Affect Detection in Social Networks. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- Real-time Fall Prevention With Smartphones. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- Embedded Xinu Operating System on Raspberry Pi. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- Embedded Xinu Operating System on the Arduino. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- H^3 App: Blackberry Highway Exit Helper for Hungry Travelers. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
- Relational Thinking Strategies of Pre-Service Mathematics Teachers and Their Students.Mentor Dr. Marta Magiera