Welcome to the Marquette University MSCS Department REU Wiki
Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates
Computation Across the Disciplines
Throughout science and engineering fields, the availability of cheap computer processing power is driving increased interest in large-scale and multi-scale problems that were previously thought to be intractable or unsolvable through traditional methods. The rise of high-throughput, parallel, and distributed computing technologies has created a great need for researchers and practitioners with a deep understanding of computer science, mathematical modeling and statistical methods who can work across disciplines to build real solutions. This can include developing new computational methodologies, computer software and/or computer systems, as well as new theoretical models.
At the same time, ever smaller computing platforms have inserted computation into mobile, embedded, and ubiquitous realms of human experience that would have been unthinkable only a few years ago. Energy consumption of both massive computing clusters and battery-operated appliances is of great concern.
Our mentor research areas lie in all of these areas, as well as in how people learn to work in these fields, and how we prepare the next generation of students to explore computational sciences and mathematics.
Summer 2013 Research Areas
Applied Mathematical Modeling:
- Characteristics of the (i,j)-Step Competition Graphs of Real Food Webs. Student Researcher: Nathan Sponberg Mentor Dr. Kim Factor
- Risk Modeling for Pyroclastic Volcano Flows. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- Data Assimilation For Fluid Dynamic Models. Mentor Dr. Elaine Spiller
- GasDay-GasHour Inequality Student Researcher: Jackson Streeter Mentor Dr. George Corliss
High Performance Computing and Computational Science:
- Analysis of GPGPU Algorithms for Multiplying Large Matrices. Mentor Dr. Rong Ge
- Cloud-Enabled Xinu Operating System. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- Discovering Significant Pathways of Gene Regulation. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
- Summarizing DNA Methylation Data at the Gene Level. Mentor Dr. Serdar Bozdag
Embedded, Mobile, and Ubiquitous Systems:
- Seeing Beyond Visibility: Mobile Security. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- ADA Compliance Toolkit: Mobile Sensors. Mentor Dr. Iqbal Ahamed
- Embedded Xinu Operating System on Raspberry Pi. Mentor Dr. Dennis Brylow
- H^3 App: Blackberry Highway Exit Helper for Hungry Travelers. Mentor Dr. Praveen Madiraju
Mathematics and Computer Science Education:
- Relational Thinking Strategies of Pre-Service Mathematics Teachers and Their Students. Laura Ramm Mentor Dr. Marta Magiera
- Looking Deeper at Inquiry-Based Instruction and Mathematics. Student Researcher: Hannah Guth. Mentor Dr. Marta Magiera
- Game Engine for Serious Educational Games. Mentors Dr. Shaun Longstreet and Dr. Kendra Cooper.